HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duo Cultellus
Admin

PostSubject: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:25 am

If you think about it, many of the old 'n gold franchises that used to be the big hitters and all that, have either disappeared, turned to shit, or are well on their way to turning to shit.
Try to think of gaming franchises that started pre-PS2 (I.E. PSX, N64, or earlier) that haven't been bastardized. Not many come to mind. Zelda's still doing well, and Contra still retains its charm, and Metriod did damn well for a long time, but Other M looks to be the start in a bad direction (One-button combat system, regenerative health, etc.).
Now think of all the franchises that have been beaten to death, and their corpses defecated on. Sonic's unbelievably bad. Mario's thrown into ridiculously idiotic spin-off's practically every month. Donkey Kong doesn't do shit but bang his bongos. Resident Evil now consists mostly of rail-shooters. Rayman's been replaced by rabbits with turrets. Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider... And although arguable, the main line of Final Fantasy games seems to be headed downhill as well.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is... Many of the greatest, older video games franchises have either turned to crap, only make the occasional hand-held game, or have stopped making games altogether. There are also examples of a few of the most popular, newer franchises going downhill. So do you think it's a possibility that popular current franchises will meet the same fate as the older ones?
Post your thoughts, opinions, discuss quality level of older franchises, newer franchises, etc. and all that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aethyrnet.web-rpg.org
Blue Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 am

Sign of the times. The good "old" franchises like Mega Man and Castlevania had to change to the tune of the polygon revolution, and while some old franchises have aged more...gracefully, most have not. Look at Sonic, Castlevania titles on consoles, and the nu-wave of kid friendly, anime-adaptable Mega Man titles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.cia.gov/
Zzgashi

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 am

It's mostly developers/publishers misreading the market, trying to make them appeal more to new gamers without knowing what they actually care about or how it will effect old fans. Also games with small hardcore followings feel obligated to try and get fancy newage graphics, but don't have the budgets to do so, and they just give up, or sell the IP to someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

And then there's Nintendo and Capcom, they take some of their best IP's and outsource them (Metroid Prime turned out pretty good though) thinking fans will just eat it up regardless. They should just expand their internal studios instead of trying to create an artificial development market that cares more about cost efficiency than product quality.

TL;DR: A lot of shit has happened over the years market wise, and not everyone survived.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anda

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 pm

While personally i think more developers should branch out and make new/exciting and different (Hi Sega. Jet Grind Radio/NiGHTS: Into Dreams) some should just stick to what made their games so lovable and playable in the first place (Hi Sega. Sonic the Hedgehog).

If your old franchise has a massive following, you stick in the same root that's made the games so popular. It's like they say, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." With Square and Final Fantasy, they've made adjustments and changes that have been good (Sticking to their turn based gameplay, junctioning) some not so good (Draw system, Removal of towns in XIII). Really, if they've got a game winning formula, they should pick out of their vast selection of gameplay mechanics and then stick their money into the story development. After all, you remember a Final Fantasy game from the story. Not the fact "Item" is conveniently placed underneath "Magic" on the main menu.

Developers i think need to take risks and produce something new, but stick to their guns on their old franchises. It stopped becoming about satisfying the customer and became more about satisfying the shareholder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArkkNine

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 am

DAMNIT I DONT HAVE TIME TO REPLY TO ALL THIS EXPECT A RESPONSE SOME TIME LATER TONIGHT OR TOMORROW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duo Cultellus
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 am

Zzgashi wrote:
They should just expand their internal studios instead of trying to create an artificial development market that cares more about cost efficiency than product quality.
I can agree with this 100%. While it doesn't apply to all of the tarnished franchises, it would definitely be for the better.

Anda wrote:
It stopped becoming about satisfying the customer and became more about satisfying the shareholder.
Seems to be the case, doesn't it? Don't think I could have said it much better myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aethyrnet.web-rpg.org
Blue Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 am

Quote :
Seems to be the case, doesn't it? Don't think I could have said it much better myself.

No choice these days. You have to do it to get by. Look at what happened to Working Designs. They were a really good publisher who took care of the fans at the expense of pissing off their supporters and ended up having to close down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.cia.gov/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?   

Back to top Go down

Old franchise quality declined... Current franchises to eventually follow?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1